The Footwork International Dance Organization was founded in 2014 by Dharshan Wijesooriya, a veteran dancer, dance teacher, examiner and organizer of many dance competitions & shows in Sri Lanka.
FIDO promotes Dancesport and social dancing and is committed to providing dancers with the opportunities stated below.
- Educating, enhancing and promoting Dancesport (Ballroom and Latin American dancing)
- Taking on the role of the Sri Lankan member and representative for World Dance Council and Asia Dance Council
- Granting World Dance Council recognition to dancers, dance instructors and adjudicators
- Providing opportunities for dancers to develop skills, attitude and qualities necessary by way of workshops and lectures
- Organizing and facilitating professional and student examinations for dancers and instructors
- Organizing International, National and Regional Dancesport competitions
- Organizing dance socials for dancers and the general public to enjoy and participate in dancing
DANCE SRI LANKA
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Since his love for dance runs through his veins, Dharshan has been facilitating dancing events, including examinations and championships as well as extravaganzas of dance for pure pleasure. Having started his dance school in 1987, he has taught thousands of students during the last 3 ½ decades.
Raising the bar for dancesport and social dancing in Sri Lanka is his personal mission towards which he has worked tirelessly over the years. He first qualified in teaching as an associate of NATD (UK), then went on to be an Associate, Licentiate and Fellow of International Dance Teachers Association (UK). Finally he was appointed an Examiner in 2015. In addition, he is also a Fellow in the United Kingdom Alliance.
He started organizing International Dance Championships in 1996 and has, to date, organized 26 competitions. For all competitions he invited International Adjudicators for added stature, including several well- known World Latin American Champions. Through this, he offered the opportunity for local audiences to witness world class performances.
As an International Adjudicator he has officiated at over 150 international competitions in 16 countries. As an examiner he has conducted examinations for students in Sri Lanka, India and Malaysia.
Dharshan was instrumental in gaining membership of the World Dance Council for Sri Lanka in 2011 and is a registered International Adjudicator of WDC.